Saturday, July 3, 2010

The dish that gained me 4kg in as many weeks.




I kid you not. This is a seriously fattening dish, though at the time.....during the month I was gorging on it, I never really thought about that.

And for me to gain 4 kg in 4 weeks is quite a feat I have to say. I run 8 km a day! That is a lot of burnt calories right there.
So how did I undertake this dubious achievement?
Well, my diet is a little limited, well, as far as I am concerned it is. I have to avoid sugar pretty much entirely, and have no carbs at dinner for the same reason. But I am a girl who likes to eat. I like a big plate of food. And seeing as I also cook a separate meal for my own family, I pretty much find a simple dish that I love, and then make it every day till I lose interest.


I made stir fry for half a year, then moved on to veggies in a satay sauce. Soooooo over both those dishes now!
And then I fell in love with cheese sauce. Veggies in cheese sauce.

I ended up doing fozen green beens as the veggies most of the time. Why?

1. I am lazy.
2. They are cheap.
3. They are filling.

Anyways the veggies are not what this post is about. What gained me the weight was the sauce.
Here is that recipe, which I made off the top of my head using the foundation of a basic white sauce.

CHEESE SAUCE
5 tbsp butter
5 tbsp flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 milk
1/2 cream (heck, get creative, sometimes I made this baby on straight cream!)
3 cups grated cheese of choice ( I use 2 3/4 cups tasty cheese and make up the rest in parmesan.)

*Heat oven to 200 (celcius)
*Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and stir over lowish heat for at least four minutes to lose the floury taste. The flour should resemble breadcrumbs.
*Pour in the milk and cream, the salt and pepper. Stir regularly over heat till the sauce thickens. *Add more milk or cream to preference of thickness. I like thick.
*Throw all but 1/2 cup of cheese into the sauce and remove from heat. Stir through until melted and combined.
*Add cooked drained vegies to the pan and stir through. Pour out into greased pie dish. (do not soak saucepan.

While you are waiting for your dinner to cook, take your pointer finger and scrape that saucepan clean.
*Sprinkle over the remainder of the cheese and put in the oven. Keep in about 15 or till brown on top.
*Eat while squeeing with delight and thanking me from the bottom of your hearts.

Serves 1. Yup, I ate the entire thing all by myself. (To gain the desired weight, eat daily. :) I have to say, I now only eat this dish but once a month. :)

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Yummo!

Liz said...

LOL, you're hilarious! If there's one thing I remember from my Spanish lessons, it's the phrase "queso engordo mucho", which sounds much better than "cheese makes you fat!".
Well... cheese AND butter AND cream :D
But, yum! I'm a sucker for cheese sauce too!

michelle said...

Robby, this is like Mum's cheesy cauliflour on steroids; made for us!!!!
Liz, queso engordo mucho. Love it! There was only one upside to the 4 kg weight gain....and that would be the 'queso engordo el pecho mucho'.
Though now I am off the stuff, they are deflating...... :(

Anonymous said...

TL Allen here. I read the recipe Shelley...Oh my gosh! What a lottttt of fats! We make something like it once a year but we substitute the veggies with MACARONI!!! That's to make it totally, without question the most fattening dish ever... oh and don't forget to crush Ritz Crackers to sprinkle over the top at the last browning! I love the photos... I know you took them yourself, clever and talented lady!

Post a Comment